About The University of Maryland Eastern Shore
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore was founded in 1886 by Methodist Episcopal Church elders as a private school on 16 acres in Princess Anne.
Today, we balance our heritage as a historically black, public research institution that has grown into a 1,100-acre campus with our mission to serve a diverse student body representing nearly three dozen nations. UMES offers undergraduate degrees in 32 disciplines, another 23 distinctive graduate and professional programs, and three certificate programs. We provide today’s college student many opportunities to develop into a well-rounded individual capable of assuming leadership in society.
UMES is poised and ready to do its part preparing future generations of scholars for the challenges that lie ahead in the 21st century.
About 55% percent of the students live on campus. The oval shaped mall is the hub of campus academic and residential activity. The students, faculty, and staff walk together to and from their daily activities in the classrooms, administrative departments, student activities, and residential life facilities. The campus is decidedly close-knit.
Behind the campus oval are 500 acres of farmland that complete the multifaceted research institution. Innovative agricultural research, serving both local and global economies, is conducted through the Small Farms Institute and the Swine Research Center, which is the hub of all University of Maryland swine research; a poultry management operation; and crop and animal production programs.
The international elements of the UMES campus are evidenced by the flags of over 50 nations that wave at the campus entrance around the federal, state, and University flagpoles. These flags symbolize the various nationalities of students enrolled at UMES during that semester.
Founded under the auspices of the Delaware Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) opened with nine students and one faculty members as the Delaware Conference Academy in Princess Anne on September 13, 1886.
Historical documents reveal that 37 students were enrolled by the end of the first year. Soon its title was changed to the Industrial Branch of Morgan State College, still under the influence of the Delaware Conference. Later it became known as Princess Anne Academy, but continued to be operated by Morgan State College under the control of the Methodist Church.
The State of Maryland, in operating its Land-Grant program at the Maryland Agricultural College at College Park, which did not admit African-American students, sought to provide a Land-Grant program for African-Americans. In 1919, the State of Maryland assumed control of the Princess Anne Academy and renamed it the Eastern Shore Branch of the Maryland Agricultural College.
In 1926, the College passed into complete control and ownership by the State of Maryland, and the University of Maryland was designated as the administrative agency. In 1948, the Eastern Shore Branch of the University of Maryland, popularly known as Princess Anne College, officially became Maryland State College, a Division of the University of Maryland. On July 1, 1970, Maryland State College became the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
Fifteen chancellors and presidents have served the institution since it was founded in 1886. They are as follows:
Dr. Heidi Anderson, 2018-present
Dr. Juliette B. Bell, 2012 - 2018
Dr. Mortimer Neufville, 2011-2012 (Interim President)
Dr. Thelma B. Thompson, 2002-2011
Dr. Jackie Thomas, 2001-2002 (Interim President)
Dr. Dolores R. Spikes, 1997-2000
Dr. William P. Hytche, Sr., 1975-1997
Dr. Archie L. Buffkins, 1971-1975
Dr. Howard Emery Wright, 1970-1971
Dr. John Taylor Williams, 1947-1970
Robert A. Grigsby, 1936-1947
Thomas Kiah, 1910-1936
Frank J. Trigg, 1902-1910
Dr. Pezavia O’Connell, 1900-1902
Portia E. Lovett Bird, 1897-1899
Benjamin Oliver Bird, 1886-1897
From its original campus building known as “Olney,” which was constructed in 1798 during the era of President George Washington, the University stands at 1100 acres with 32 major buildings and 43 other units.
Within the last decade, UMES has added 22 new degree programs, concentration, and certificate programs to its academic roster, including two fully online educational programs. Additional course offerings during evening and weekend hours have also been developed, allowing a greater segment of the local population to enhance themselves and their communities through post-secondary education. Graduates of UMES programs secure positions throughout the global community. However, many graduates often choose to remain on the Delmarva Peninsula, procuring careers in their areas of professional study to benefit the region, particularly the Lower Eastern Shore.
UMES Mission and Core Values
University Mission Statement
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), the state’s historically black 1890 land-grant institution, has its purpose and uniqueness grounded in distinctive learning, discovery and engagement opportunities in the arts and sciences, education, technology, engineering, agriculture, business and health professions.
UMES is a student-centered, doctoral research degree-granting university known for its nationally accredited undergraduate and graduate programs, applied research, and highly valued graduates.
UMES provides individuals, including first generation college students, access to a holistic learning environment that fosters multicultural diversity, academic success, and intellectual and social growth.
UMES prepares graduates to address challenges in a global knowledge-based economy, while maintaining its commitment to meeting the workforce and economic development needs of the Eastern Shore, the state, the nation and the world.
Institutional Core Values
- Providing high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that will equip students with 21st century knowledge and skills necessary for the challenges of America and the world.
- Affirming its role as the State’s 1890 land-grant institution by providing citizens with opportunities and access that will enhance their lives and enable them to develop intellectually, economically, socially, and culturally.
- Demonstrating shared-governance through recognition of the viewpoints that various members of the University community contribute to the institution.
- Appreciating diversity in its student body, faculty, staff and administration through civility, commitment to tolerance, freedom of expression, and celebration of other cultures.
- Adhering to the highest standards of honesty, fairness, trust and integrity in both personal and professional behavior.
- Promoting student-centeredness as the heart of the educational enterprise.
- Focusing on character development through learning and leadership experiences.
In addition to its primary location in Princess Anne, UMES also offers select undergraduate and graduate degree programs at additional locations, including The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) in Rockville, Md, the University System of Maryland Hagerstown (USMH) in Hagerstown, Md, and Baltimore Museum of Industry (BMI) in Baltimore, Md.
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a 1,100-acre campus that is at once academic, international, and Arcadian, making it an inviting and fitting atmosphere for study and young adult growth.
- Alumni House
- Auxiliary Gym and Wellness Center
- Charles R. Drew Building
- Early Childhood Research Center
- Frederick Douglass Library
- Farm Machinery Building
- Farm Shop House
- Greenhouse Academic Building
- Lida Brown Building
- MAES Poultry Office/Laboratory
- MAES Poultry Environmental Research Laboratory
- Marksman - East
- Marksman - West
- Physical Plant/Central Receiving
- Poultry Technology Management House
- Somerset Hall - Pharmacy
- Community Center/Office of Residential Life
- Court Plaza Residence Hall
- Harford Hall
- Hawk’s Landing Apartment
- Murphy Hall & Murphy Hall Annex
- Nuttle Hall
- Plaza Residence Hall
- Student Apartments 1-6
- Student Residential Complex A-D & A- F
- University Terrace
- Wicomico Hall
Classroom and Laboratory Buildings
- Access and Success Building
- Engineering and Aviation Science Complex
- Charles Clinton Spaulding Hall
- Crop and Aquaculture Swine Reproduction Facility
- Ella Fitzgerald Center for the Performing Arts
- Food Science and Technology Building
- Frank Trigg Hall
- George Washington Carver Hall
- Henry O. Tanner Hall
- Richard A. Henson Center
- Theodore Briggs and Richard Thomas
- Arts and Technology Center
- Thomas R. Kiah Hall
- William P. Hytche Athletic Center
- Wilson Hall
- Benjamin Oliver Bird Hall
- John T. Williams Hall
- Paul S. Sarbanes Coastal Ecology Center
- Public Safety Building
- Richard A. Henson Center
- SRC Laundry Facility
- Student Apartment Laundry
- Student Development, Cultural and Recreation
- Student Services Center
- Richard Hazel Hall
- Waters Hall